Pages


Monday 3 June 2013

Beach Fun

 Hello everyone!

I really need to get better about updating Bramble's blog..I'll try to do it more often from now on!

Bramble had a fab week as our cousins were over from England. They don't get to go to the seaside that often, so when they are over they make the most of it and spend loads of time down on the beach. This meant Bramble got several trips to the beach, all of which were thoroughly enjoyed. We are lucky to be able to enjoy the beach all year round as we are quite local.

I mentioned in my last post about the issues I was having regarding Bramble's recall. She was becoming increasingly worse, and ignoring me calling her. I am glad to say that this is picking up now and it is coming on well. It's still a long way from perfect however! With no distractions, I reckon I have an 80% chance of her returning! This needs to turn into a 100% chance with distractions too. Currently we are walking through farmers fields (avoiding the fields containing livestock) so there is no risk of roads or dangers if she doesn't respond to me.

I never call her when she is sniffing or otherwise distracted - because there's no point. If I need her to come, I literally run off in the other direction. That makes her take notice and she will then follow me. I have been playing hide & seek and this means she is becoming more aware of checking where I am and turns it into a fun game. She LOVES trying to find me and gets lots of praise when she finds me. Ideally I should never get the chance to hide - because she will be watching me practically the whole time. Anyhow, I won't bore with that you anymore for now.

The other issue was leash walking. She was dragging me about whenever I attempted a fun walk on lead. I have put a lot of effort into this. (Note: Jacket Walking isn't affected by this) To be fair to her she's doing really well. At the start of the walk she will pull. (This is in a weaning process and she is pulling less & less) She quickly settles down though to a almost loose leash. By almost the end of the walk she's walking perfectly. You could hold the lead with one finger!! She will also respond to a sit & wait command, so this works well if she spots another dog she fancies meeting - I just get her to sit and wait whilst the other dog passes.

I have worked out what I thought was random spooking. Let me explain a little more!!

I noticed when walking through town, she would suddenly spook. Same when I walked through the supermarket. And I've figured out why!!

She HATES butchers. Weird, I know, for a Lab. But it's true!!

She freezes when she smells us approaching a butchers (or butchers area in Tesco for example) and will then totally zone out and focus on trying to get away. By pulling in the other direction. You can then get literally no sense out of her.

It's the only time she will actually ignore food. So to add to my list I am now working on her butchers fear.

I have a new bed in the hallway now and Bramble loves snoozing in it!!!

That's all for now I think.

She is being neutered tomorrow so it will be a little training break for a while.

She switches foster families in about two months time. The weeks are slipping away now!!

She is a lovely dog though and I am happy with her progress.

She has an amazing temperament, as you can see from the below photo of her enjoying some time with my younger brother.


3 comments:

  1. Great blog! We love discovering new dog blogs - the very best of luck with the training! You must pop over to Clive's blog when you get the chance!

    take care
    Clive & Co

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool!. It is more enjoyable if your buddy dog is with you while you are in the beach. So cute of this pics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely photos! I am pleased that training is going well! The blog hasn't been updated for a while so I am guessing she will be doing even better with her process in training now! I hope so!

    I can't wait for the next pupdate!

    www.mydogdiaries1.blogspot.com
    www.mycatdiaries1.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete